Software downloads (version 2.13 Mar 2021 )
Full installation (4381 kB) - for first time users and for upgrading from Filing (BDE/Paradox version)
Executable only (591 kB) - for upgrading from previous Filing2 versions
has been upgraded to "Filing2", to use Firebird in place of
BDE/Paradox as its database engine,
better, & supported beyond Windows XP.
I have finally moved to Linux (I use Xubuntu), so this version of Filing2 will probably be the last.
The new version of Filing for Linux ("Filing3") is here. (version 3.07 Apr 2021)
Steps for Linux are
- install Firebird - any of the 3 server modes are ok;
- create a folder for Filing - for example /home/filing
- download the Filing3 executable into this folder, and set permission to run it as an executable
- if you are migrating from Windows, run the UTF-8 compatibility check within Filing2 (in Windows) & resolve any issues found
- - otherwise copy the empty database "fdata.fdb" from the Windows full installation zip above
- copy the filing database into Linux file system as /home/filing/data/fdata.fdb
- set permissions on this database file to Read & Write
The installation steps for Windows are as follows (logon to Windows as an Administrator first) :
Download FILING2nnnn.ZIP to a temporary folder using the "full installation" link above.
Create a new folder for Filing2, for example C:\FILING2
Unzip all the files into this, retaining any subfolders.
If you already use the BDE/Paradox version of Filing, run FLGCONV.EXE to copy your data into the new format.
Subsequently, you should check for new versions from time to time. To upgrade to a newer version of Filing2, download the "executable only" above, unzip it, and copy the FILING2nnnn.EXE into your Filing2 folder overwriting the existing version. Make a backup copy of your Filing2 folder & subfolders first, just in case!
Other programs which I have written can be found here. All my software is written primarily for my own use, so you may find it does not match the breadth of functionality expected in commercial software. Please do email me for help or suggestions or any other feedback – include the application name "FILING2" in the subject line so that you stand a chance of being noticed in the blizzard of spam.